Those who know me, know I tend to shy away from baking anything which doesn’t start out with a mix in a box. ? Baking from scratch scares me – once it’s in the oven, that’s it… it’s all too final for me. Cooking is different, you can always open the pot, taste, and add ingredients if need be.
This time though, I decided to be brave and try a recipe I came across on fellow mommy blogger Mom Of Two Little Girls twitter account.
She had posted a link to a quick and simple recipe on My Mommy Style, and seeing as I had over ripe bananas to spare, Zee and I gave it a try… and… success! They’re oh so yummy, and Zee has declared me “best chef ever!” Although – my child is all about positive reinforcement, and crowns me “best chef ever” after just about every meal I make. ?
The muffins were also the perfect addition to our mommy daughter tea party. ?
And now, the recipe (which even a novice baker like myself cannot get wrong):
Prep: 10 min | Bake: 20 min | Total: 30 min
• 1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 large bananas, mashed (I used 4 small bananas)
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 1/3 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F.
2. Coat muffin pan with nonstick spray, or use paper liners.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt; set aside.
4. Combine bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla essence, and melted butter in a bowl. Fold in flour mixture and mix until dry ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix. Scoop batter into the muffin tin.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes (I left them in the full 20 minutes).
And enjoy! ?